Sunday, August 23, 2020

I’m Deaf. When mask-wearing came along, I had to rebuild my world

3024.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8

Masks prevent me from lipreading and using facial cues to communicate –hearing people need to be more open to communicating in different ways with strangers

Since mask-wearing began, my world has disappeared. I was born partially deaf, and masks prevent me from lipreading and using facial cues to communicate.

I’m not alone. Over 460 million people worldwide have disabling hearing loss according to the World Health Organization. So how are people who are d/Deaf (lower case refers to the physical condition of deafness, capital D refers to the Deaf community) or hard of hearing surviving mask mandates?

Continue reading…

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/20/deaf-people-mask-wearing-lipreading
Droolin’ Dog sniffed out this story and shared it with you.
The Article Was Written/Published By: Alison Stine



! #Headlines, #CoronaVirus, #Diversity, #Health, #Newsfeed, #People, #Trending, #WearTheMask, #News

No comments:

Post a Comment